You hear it on the news. You see people on the streets with signs. You thank God that it's not you. And, then you meet 2 families in one day who are finding themselves in that very situation and it becomes a reality in your world. You want to help. But, you don't know how. You want to "fix" the world but you don't know how. You want to make a difference. But, once again...you don't know how.
Please pray. We need some prayer warriors this week for two different families.
Through a series of events which I believe to be completely from God, we have come into contact with a couple named Bob and Lori. They found themselves in our city last night under a bridge and in Lori's words, "that was horrific and I'm never going back there." They did end up getting into a homeless shelter last night and have 30 days to stay there. Lori spent the night before that in the hospital. They have almost nothing except for a few clothes, a few family pictures, and Bob's mom's old Bible. Chris went to pick them up for church this morning and we spent the morning and lunch time with them today. Lori shared with me over lunch that basically she realizes she has a huge hole in her life and it can only be filled by God. She is tired of "running from God" and constantly searching for something better. She has a 12 year old son who she has not been a mom to except in the way of child support for the past several years. She has now been sober for 6 months but it's a constant struggle. She wants something more. She is searching and today she truly believes she has found it and finally wants to make an ultimate commitment to Christ. She shared a lot with us over lunch and wants to study the Bible this week and take Christ on in baptism. We're going to be studying with both of them later this week. Lori speaks Spanish fluently and has worked for several years in banks and seems to have a willingness to work even if it's at Burger King for $8 an hour. Several people at church this morning made connections with them and we're going to do what we can to help them find jobs and make a home. Lori told me that she doesn't know what it is but she feels a strong calling to make a home here. Please pray that Lori and Bob can finally find what they are looking for in Christ. Pray that we will have wisdom, compassion, and lots of love in dealing with them. Pray that they may find peace and fulfillment and comfort. Please just pray.
The other family was visiting church this morning and are about to be evicted from their apartment with 4 small children. I made a connection with this mom when she dropped her daughter off in the same Bible class as Jack. She does have a job but they are just scared. And, they are "looking for a church." Pray for this family on Tuesday especially as that is the day they are supposed to be out of their apartment. Pray that they may find peace and that they will continue to be able to care for their children. Pray for the mom as she was there this morning with 4 kids all by herself because her husband could care less about church. Please just pray.
I'm calling on you my blog readers because I feel that this is a place I can share needs. These are the needs I see today. And, I want nothing more than to just be God's instrument in these situations. One way I can do that is to surround these people with love and prayer and hope in God. Won't you please join me?
9 years ago



2 comments:
I will definitely be praying for them...and you! It sounds like God has some plans for you, and I'm always excited to see how those work out:).
Thanks for sharing this Jill! Also, please tell Chris that he did a wonderful job with his sermon a couple of weeks ago! It was an inspiring service for me. We're so blessed to have your family at SE!
Post a Comment