Sunday, July 29, 2012

Oh, Jack....

Dear Jack,
I still think of you as my little precious baby boy!  I can still remember when you GOT your first tooth.  Now, you have LOST your first tooth (it happened a couple of weeks ago when we were visiting Gram and Grandaddy and now the new tooth is already coming through).  And, now for the next big milestone....is it really possible that you are starting Kindergarten in just TWO days??  I really have so many mixed emotions right now.  I promise I didn't mean to cry tonight when we were praying about your start to Kindergarten.  I wasn't completely lying to you when I told you they were happy tears!  I am very excited about your new adventure but I know that it just means you are growing up way too fast for me!  You are such a wonderful little boy.  You are so caring and so compassionate.  You are becoming such a good friend to so many and you never cease to amaze me with your fearlessness.  Just last week when we were on a mission trip with our teenagers you went door knocking with them and had no problem inviting people to come learn more about God.  And, then that very night you prayed by name for the people you met and prayed that they would be able to know God.  That makes your mommy very proud of you.  You crave friendship!  You love others (both young and old) and it's obvious in all that you do.  I don't think you are going to have any problems making friends with your teachers and your classmates at school.  You are so smart.  You are already reading well above what a Kindergartner should be reading.  This summer you earned the max amount of points you could from our library's summer reading program and you read most of the chapter books on your own before reading them with us.  You still don't love handwriting but hey.....that's what kindergarten is for!  You'll get plenty of practice!!!  I really like your teacher for Kindergarten.  She seems like she's going to be perfect for you.  I am not worried about you one bit, I promise.  But, I'm sad.  I'm sad because you are no longer going to be home with me during the day on the days I don't work.  I know that Tatum is going to miss you a lot too.  You are seriously the best big brother.  It melts my heart when you play with her so gently.  I love that she cannot go to sleep at night until she has kissed you!  I love when she spontaneously walks up to you to give you big hugs.  She just can't get enough of you and it's because you can't get enough of her either!  We will miss you!  I will seriously be counting down the days until your two week fall break!  Then, I'm sure that I'll go through all these emotions again because I won't want to send you back!  But, more than being sad I'm excited!  I'm excited because you are ready!  Your daddy and I have tried to instill good things in you and now it's your turn to practice them out of our safety net.  But, no fear........you will be back home every afternoon and we will make the most of that time.
We will talk about what's going on at school.  We will talk about how to handle the situations you face.  We will all get through this and learn together.  I will be coming to school to see you and work in your classroom at least every other week.  I look forward to being a part of your world at school.  Don't tell anyone but you are my favorite kindergartner in the whole world!!!!  Tuesday is going to be a day of mixed emotions but just know that even if I cry...........they really are happy tears!  I'm so happy that God gave you to me and your daddy!  We are so blessed by you and I just can't imagine our lives any other way!!!
Love, Mom

No comments: