I have been waiting to make this declaration for a long time and now I can........Jack is officially finished with the pacifier!
When Jack was 18 months old, I stopped allowing him to have the pacifier at any time other than when he was in his crib for nap time or bed time. It took him about 3 days to stop wanting it during the day. Lately he has become increasingly attached to his paci when it's time to sleep. Mostly he wasn't sucking on it anymore.......just playing with it in and out of his mouth. Well, Monday night we could NOT find the pacifier. And, I'm not making that up. We really couldn't find it. We always leave it in his crib but it was not there. So, we had a little talk with Jack about how we couldn't find it and he would just have to be a big boy and sleep without it. So, he did. He went right to sleep because in his own words that night, "I o-kay, mommy. I'm sleepy!" So, off he went to dream land with no pacifier. When I put Jack in his crib Monday night, I actually spotted the paci. It was wedged between the crib mattress and rail at the head of the bed. But, I just pretended that I didn't see it. The next day when Jack wasn't looking I took the paci and put it on the very top shelf of the closet (not brave enough to throw it away yet). Tuesday nap time.......no problem. Tuesday night.......Jack and I searched his bed for his paci but once again couldn't find it..........went to sleep.........no problem. Today at preschool, Ms. Donna (who is wonderful by the way) took his paci off of his cot. She said Jack looked for it but never said anything to her about it and went to sleep. She thinks he even went to sleep faster because he didn't have it to play with! Tonight.........he didn't even mention the paci when it was time for bed!
So, we've survived all tests and we're officially done! This completely fits with my three day theory. It has always only taken Jack 3 days to adjust to new things as long as we've stood firm. Here's hoping that transitioning to a big boy bed and potty training can go so well! I'm not holding my breath on the potty training thing!
9 years ago



1 comment:
Great, good luck on potty training!
Post a Comment