Tenzuk Hills is probably the most unique place I have ever been in my entire life.

These rocks have been in these formations for generations. I was so impressed with these massive rock piles.



It was crazy to me to walk around and see these huge boulders and then look over and see people living in huts right in the middle of these boulders.

Can you imagine seeing this everyday? One day we walked out to this rock with Thompson (one of the preachers in the area, remember?).

I can't remember what he called the rock but basically it's like being in a little cave. Only you can see out on every side.


When Ghana was occupied by the British, the people of Tenzuk Hills had originally lived by the river (see pictures from SonRise Village post) but they fled up to these hills to hide. This cave became a great hiding place because you could be up there and see everything but not be seen at all. It was also a great hiding place when slave traders came through.
Anyway, the people of this village are amazing. I could feel their love for each other and for us. It's just a unique place. For generations and generations these people have been so rooted in their tribal beliefs. They are traditionalists with serving many gods and idols. I was in shock over the many sacrifices I saw as I walked around this area. Sometimes a sacrifice was just an old coffee canister filled with grass and rocks and that was a god. We even met the soothsayer for the village. But, even with all these beliefs.......these people are so incredibly receptive to the message of the Gospel. This is the fastest growing church in the district. Their church building is still being built, but I think they will outgrow it before it's even completed.



Currently they are meeting in this little hut or just outside the building. This particular night Chris and I were in this hut with the kids and a few of the women to teach. We acted out the parable of the Good Samaritin. It was quite cramped!

The tribal chief of the district has said that once the church building is finished he and his whole family (which is very large) will come to church. He is waiting because he wants to see that it's really something that is going to last and not just be a passing thing. Apparently there have been other groups that have come in and tried to establish churches but have given up.
The young people in this village are awesome. We were walking by the school one day and the kids just ran out of the school and surrounded us.

This was too funny not to take a picture of:

I love seeing their smiles. I was very impressed with the "youth group" that is developing at the church. They get together often to practice singing. They sing a lot in their own native language but they are also learning songs in English. Actually, English is the national language for Ghana so it's what they learn in school but then they all speak their own tribal languages as well. The language we are dealing with in this district is called Talen. I love what the kids are singing in this video.
They are learning that God is able. He is THE ONLY GOD. It's huge for these kids to learn this because for generations that has not been the case. But, think about the generations and generations to come who will be affected by the fact that these kids know Jehovah God. I get chills when I think about the future of this village. The song leader in the video is Joseph. He is actually 16. I totally did not think he looked that old, but he is such a leader. We are looking into helping him attend high school and get a higher education with hopes that he will be a strong influence in this community for years to come. Please pray for the future generations of Tenzuk Hills that they may know God and know Jesus as their Savior.
2 comments:
I love the video! The rock formations are interesting too! What an incredible experience for you!
Love the pictures and the video, Jill. We are praying about the work in Ghana and can't wait to see what He has planned!!
Post a Comment