To set the scene for you about our work.....we worked in the Talensi-Nabdam district.

The best I can describe the district is that it's probably the equivalent of a county. This district has only been recognized by the Ghanaian government for about 5 years. It is comprised of 3 main villages: Tongo, Tenzuk Hills, and Gorgo. The work that we are a part of beginning will be in this district (more about that later). Central church in Athens (where we used to live) has been working in this district for a few years and is sponsoring 3 churches: 1 in each village. On our first day we visited the district assembly (government offices) to let them know we were here.

They have been very gracious to work with us in beginning this project and I'm very impressed that the government appointed chief of the district is a woman! Here name is Vivian and she is awesome. I'll have more about her later too. After meeting with them, we headed to Tongo to have a church service/meeting. Central helped provide the funds to build this building. It's the first completed building for a church that met under a mango tree for years.
The old church building:

The new church building:

They are so incredibly proud of their building. Thompson is their preacher and he was with us for the whole time we were there driving us and translating for us. He's such a hard worker and amazing Christian example. I have so much respect for him. I have some pictures of him later on in my pictures. We had church that night and Chris was the speaker. He talked about unity and love as the Christians in this district are struggling right now with loving their enemies and showing Christ in the way they treat others. They also struggle with jealousy and "cliques" among women in the church. Chris did a great job and the women had many questions for him. I was surprised at how many women are in the churches and how few men. In the evenings almost no men come at all because they are still working but on Sunday there are more. Here were a few pictures that we snapped of the church members at Tongo.
The youth group:

Check out this adorable little guy:

A few of the women (the room was much more full by the time we started):

Me with the kids (they were so crazy about having their pictures taken):

Just hanging out around the building:


Ha! There are seriously animals EVERYWHERE!!!! Pigs, Sheep, Goats, Cows just all roam around. It took me a while to get used to that.
1 comment:
Where are the lions and elephants?:'D I love the pictures!
Post a Comment