Thursday, July 29, 2010

Murphy

Project LIFE Week 29

Most of last week was spent with our teenagers in Murphy, NC for our mission trip. I am so proud of the way our teens worked. It was so hot yet they never complained. They helped re-roof a lady's house (with the help of 2 professional roofers) and they revitalized a community center in a needy area and brought hope and joy and friendship to that area. It is so incredible to watch them serve God and serve others. Chris and I are a part of the lives of some pretty incredible teenagers and for that.....we are thankful and very blessed. Due to being pregnant, I did not participate in the construction projects this year but instead got to spend some awesome time with Jack during each day. Gigi was there for 2 nights so it was also great to see her. I very much enjoyed my time off work and Jack's time off summer preschool to just "hang out." It was difficult today when I went back to work for the first time in 2 weeks.

Sunday July 18
Tonight we kidnapped our new 7th graders in the youth group and went bowling before leaving for Murphy on Tuesday morning. What a fun night. It was especially funny to me that Chris convinced Jack that if he "leaned" it would make the ball go right where he wanted it!!!!I also completely determined that I am much better at bowling on the Wii!!!

Thursday July 22
This afternoon we were up at the church building to help Ms. Anni get dinner ready for the teenagers. Ms. Anni had a great surprise for Jack - he got to help decorate cookies!! Jack loves Ms. Anni (and so do we). She's a great cook AND an incredible person just to be around!! Her family has quickly become part of our "Indy family."And, of course Jack HAD to eat one of the cookies to ruin his dinner:
I have been asked before why I go on so many youth trips and bring Jack along and I just want to show these next 2 pictures as my #1 reason for making our summers so busy:Jack LOVES his daddy!!! This was their moment together after not seeing each other all day and I just love it. I am so happy that we have the luxury of "tagging along" with Chris when he is "working." And, for the record I feel like working with teenagers is a gift that God has given me as well so I really enjoy the time I get to spend with them whether I'm sitting beside them at dinner, driving them somewhere, or hanging out late at night after Jack goes to bed.

Thursday night after dinner, we had to hit up the Murphy hot spot.............the Sweet Tooth!Saturday July 24
Today we finished up a few odd projects in the morning and then the rest of the day was "fun day." We headed to Bryson City, NC to Deep Creek. The kids all got tubes and had a blast playing in the creek. There are 2 parts to the creek: a very rapid part and a lazy part. The teens spent most of their time on the rapid part while Jack and I waded in the creek and walked around enjoyed the beautiful park. But, THEN......Jack decided he wanted to tube. So, we went to find Chris and he gladly agreed to take Jack on the lazy part of the creek.This was the highlight of Jack's week. He even thanked God for tubing in his prayers for a couple of nights. I'm so happy that this was a good experience because for most of the summer Jack has been on a swimming strike. Maybe next time we'll let Jack have his own tube!!!!

No comments: