Friday, December 23, 2011

She's ONE!!!


Well, it came and went very quickly........last Saturday Tatum turned 1!!! It's crazy! We love her more and more every day and cannot imagine our lives without her. I feel so incredibly blessed to be a mommy. There is just nothing like it in this life. I do not take it for granted. I know that at any moment something tragic could happen and my life as I know it could be gone. I know that there are tons of babies out there who are not healthy on their first birthday or their fifth birthday (Jack is about to be FIVE)! So, I just hold on to today. I try to remember that each moment is precious. Thank you God for Tatum's life! Thank you for allowing us to celebrate!
I took Tatum for her check-up on Monday. To sum it all up in one word - she's average! Height: 29 1/4 inches (50th percentile), Weight: 20 pounds, 3 ounces (45th percentile), and Head Size: 17 3/4 inches (50th percentile)! What a contrast to Jack at this age - he was always 90th percentile or above. But, Tatum is anything but average to us. She continues to be a very happy child. She is laid back for the most part and almost always has a smile for everyone she comes in contact with. Now, when she is mad......she WILL let you know with this terribly loud scream. It pierces my ear drum every time! We are doing our best to ignore her shenanigans but in public that is not possible so I usually just give her a snack and that solves everything! She is able to use sign language for more, milk, mommy, daddy, dog, tree, and sometimes she tries please. She babbles constantly and can say mama and dada and some crazy version of Jack. She also tries to say doggie and I think she is working on book. Speaking of books - she LOVES them. She cannot get enough of looking at books before bedtime. She cries when I stop reading and tell her it's time for bed. So, as a result we usually read about 5 or 6 books at bedtime. What can I say? She has me wrapped around her finger. Tatum is getting more and more confident with her ability to stand. The only problem is that she isn't too steady when she lets go. In the past week she has gotten a few bumps and bruises on her face from some falls when trying to stand. One day she pulled to standing and then let go and had the most scared face I have ever seen. She is starting to walk a little bit when holding our hands but it's no where near what I would consider functional walking. Tatum likes to play peek-a-boo. She hold her hand over her cheek on one side of her face with her fingers barely covering her eyes. It's hilarious. Up until the day she turned one she would hold up one finger to tell you that she was going to be one. But, literally on her birthday - she stopped. She loves to clap for herself and she does it quite frequently. She keeps us laughing and giggling all day long. She has a pretty contagious laugh.
Tatum also likes to eat. She definitely had fun with her birthday cake! She prefers food that she can feed to herself. I would say that her favorites continue to be sweet potatoes, bananas, cheerios, graham crackers, and toast. She is also a big fan of yogurt, applesauce, and oatmeal. She will put away green peas like they are candy.....oh, and black olives too. We started giving her some whole milk over the weekend and she likes it and finally figured out how to tip her sippy cup up and get something to drink without us having to do it for her! She is still nursing like a champ but starting to slow down a little. Not sure when that's going to stop completely - depending on what day you ask me, I'm ready to stop and on other days I'm not. So, I'll just let Tatum be the guide for now.

That's all I can think of for now to give a snapshot of who Tatum is today. Thanks for reading!

Oh, and her first birthday party was a blast! All of our family (except my parents) bailed on us and couldn't come celebrate Tatum's big day. So, we invited the next best thing - church family. We celebrated with people who have been significant in Tatum's life this past year: her babysitter's family and her Sunday school teachers families and our neighbors. It was nice. Not sure what's going on with me but I haven't been in much of a blogging mood lately so I'm just going to post a link here to my facebook album of her party if you want to look at more pictures.

Just click here for more pictures like this...

No comments: