Wednesday, February 06, 2008

Happy Birth Eve

Call me a little sentimental if you want, but I just can't believe that one year ago this was my last day without a baby. We both remember it like it was yesterday. Feb. 6 was a Tuesday. We went in for my weekly doctor's visit and together with Dr. Keller decided that it was going to be best to have Jack sooner than later. My doctor (Dr. Keller) was the one delievering on Wednesday so he said, "why not tomorrow?" So, the plan was for us to get to the hospital Tuesday night around 9 or 10 (we waited until 10) and they would start me on cervidil and then my doctor would check me in the morning to see if everything was a go! So, Chris and I spent the rest of Tuesday making sure we had everything in order. We went out to eat Tuesday night at Applebee's and I just remember us both sitting there acting like we were on a first date or something (we both just had the jittery nervous feeling going on). Then, like any good husband/dad....Chris went on to play basketball with his regular Tuesday night basketball group while I sat at home and watched American Idol until it was time to go. Once we got to the hospital, we spent a lot of time getting checked in with the nurses and everything and then Chris gave me a special "you're about to be the mother of my child" gift that was one of the willow tree keepsake boxes of a mom and baby. Throughout the night, I started having contractions here and there and then in the morning Dr. Keller broke my water and everything began. I labored all day until 7:56 pm when Jack was born. That was 4 minutes before Duke and North Carolina played. For those of you who don't know this by now......Chris is a HUGE North Carolina fan and this was the biggest game all year! He didn't mind missing it too much last year, but tonight he is watching the game as I type this and I suppose I'll join him in a minute to help him cheer on the tarheels.

The inside of the box Chris gave me says "Everyday a miracle." As I look back on the past year, I believe every single day has really been a miracle. The miracle of life is amazing to me. I am overjoyed at the way God has blessed us with Jack. He is our little miracle and we love him so much! I can't wait to celebrate his first birthday with him tomorrow! Actually, we'll be celebrating all weekend, but tomorrow is the actual day! Pictures to come...

No comments: