Thursday, April 17, 2008

A Brilliant Idea...

...too bad it wasn't mine!

Today I took Jack to a play group with the other kids from his class at church and their moms. However, it wasn't your average play group. We met at the nursing home! This was amazing! The ladies plus 1 man all sat around in a big circle and the kids played in the middle of them. It didn't take long for the kids to really warm up and start interacting with the residents of the nursing home. I mean, Jack will play ball with anyone willing to play and those ladies were all willing to play. It was too cute! I completely forgot my camera, but the good news is that this was such a hit with the nursing home and with the 7 of us moms that went......we're going to do it twice a month. So, next time I'll take my camera.

I just think this is such a simple way to introduce Jack to service at a young age. I've been thinking about ways we could involve him in service to others and things we could do as a family, but this honestly never even crossed my mind. So, props to my friend, Suzanne for the idea. I'm also excited for Jack to be comfortable in a nursing home/assisted living atmosphere. Two of his great grandparents now live in assisted living places, so he will have no fear as he gets older and more aware of walking into that situation because he'll be used to it.

So, give it a try in your neck of the woods. I believe you will really be blessed. I know I sure was.

1 comment:

Kenneth & Victoria said...

I am glad to hear it went so well. It's something we wanted to do. In fact, it was scheduled for last Thanksgiving, but the girls got sick. I think we are going to try it again next Saturday. We'll let you know how it goes.