Now, time out: I work with kids who have been involved in very serious accidents who are sometimes paralyzed or have serious head injuries, etc. So, immediately all the thoughts of the worst case scenario were going through my head. I was imagining that I would be working with this teenager for months to come to rehab him.
Time in: When we got to this guy, he started talking very logically telling us to take his ipod, phone, and wallet out of his pocket. Head injury? No. Thank you, Lord. My next thought was, "how in the world are we going to get him out of here?" No cell phone service. No 'easy' way out. I was envisioning a helicopter having to lift him out on a stretcher. Then, we started asking questions about what he could feel? He could feel everything.......good. Paralyzed? No, not yet. I thought that one wrong move could really do him in. Then, he started complaining about both wrists hurting. It turns out he caught most of his fall with his wrists. Good. He could move everything. Good. With help, he stood up (against my better judgment about moving him) and walked all the way up a huge hill to the car (with help, of course). Chris drove this boy and his brother and 2 other friends straight to the hospital ER. He had some back pain so I was pretty concerned about possible fracture in back or neck. Thankfully, x-rays were negative for his back. Definitely had a wrist fracture on one hand and a severe sprain of the other wrist and some elbow thing that worked itself out. He was really sore. After conversations with his parents, he was booked for a flight the next morning out of Knoxville (2 hours away) because the ER doctors felt like he needed to see a surgeon ASAP. Turns out he didn't need surgery. But, he did have to fly by himself with both arms splinted all the past his elbow. Still don't know how he managed, but he did. Now, he just has one cast and I'm happy to report that I'm very relieved he is not one of my patients.
Now, Rewind: The moment this guy stood up and was being helped by adults out of the water - I stood up and I guess that's when all the adrenaline of the moment hit me and I almost passed out. I turned white as a ghost and felt so absolutely dizzy that it wasn't even a little bit funny. I couldn't look at his wrist closer because I was the next victim. I have no clue what happened to me. But, Chris had to help ME up the hill. I guess the intensity of the moment hit me. This is probably the closest Chris and I have been in our 6 years of youth ministry to a real emergency. I hope it's the closest we ever get. Because it really was not a fun few minutes. I'm frustrated with myself that I almost passed out. I'm in the medical profession. I'm supposed to be able to handle stuff like that. But, I guess it just hit a little too close to home. At least I didn't start feeling that way until we knew things were temporarily okay.
Needless to say, I don't have any more pictures from the waterfall.



1 comment:
WOW! I'm so glad to hear he's okay. I have many friends who are youth ministers and their biggest fear is loosing one of the kids or one getting injured. I know that must have been so stressful!
Post a Comment