Wednesday, February 17, 2010

SonRise Village

SonRise Village is the name of the project that is in its infancy that we are blessed to be a part of! Central church (from Athens) has cast a vision for this project and God has opened so many doors to begin this work in the Talensi-Nabdam district of Ghana. Basically, it's a big undertaking to provide an orphanage, school, medical clinic, widow skill training, and farming with good irrigation to the community. The district has donated a tract of land that is approx. 280 acres for this project. It's seriously HUGE! Our second day there we went to walk the land for the first time. We figured up that we probably walked a total of 4 miles. I was exhausted by the end. It was so funny how people just came out of nowhere while we were out there to walk with us and talk to us. And, I really had no reason to complain - I had on my good tennis shoes. I couldn't imagine how I would have hurt had I been walking in flip flops. And, I digress.....anyway, It's so awesome to be there and know that God is going to do amazing things right on this property and in the surrounding villages. I couldn't help but pray as we walked for all the future things to be done here.

Without further delay....here it is:
And, here is a tree that marks one of the boundries for the land....isn't it beautiful?This is the view from the hill that is in the center of the property which would make a great place for some buildings one day. One of the most obvious needs for this community is farming and food. In the northern part of Ghana there is a dry season that is about 8 months long. During those 8 months, food is very scarce and if you can find food....it is very expensive. People starve in this time. The first goal of SonRise Village is to get a water pump at the river that is at the back of the property and begin irrigating the land to give the community a place to farm. Can you imagine how much good having access to this water would do? Well, you don't have to imagine for long....I'll show you. As we walked to the back of the property, we came across this (just bordering the property to the side):Successful farming with the use of 1 3 inch water pump. This is all owned by one man who sells the food. So, imagine what it will do for the community when they are given a place to farm and they can benefit from the food and also from selling the food for profit and to benefit future development of SonRise Village.

When we were down by the river, we met more people like these guys:
The kid on the left is 11 years old and he has never been to school. He fishes. He told us he wants to go to school but there is no school nearby. So, there you go....another good reason for SonRise Village to exist to provide a school for kids in this area around the river. Imagine the possibilities!!!

One more picture from a different location......that is the property for SonRise Village in the background of where Chris and I are standing:Vision is awesome and I'm so excited to be a part of casting the vision for SonRise Village. Being on this trip gave me many opportunities to dream of possibilities and give input into what can be accomplished. Please be in prayer for this project as it is a HUGE undertaking. It's really too big for one church.....it's going to take a lot of people to make this happen. Any takers?

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Hmmmm...

emily said...

Wow. Just wow. Can't wait to see what God has in mind.

kentbrantly said...

now, as for this vision.... are you talking "medical clinic" or "mission hospital"? ;)

Jill said...

Kent, what do you think?? There is plenty of land for a mission hospital.....go right ahead!!!

Kim said...

I just got done showing Luke and Anna the Ghana pictures. We had just finished working their Africa puzzle, so we took the Ghana piece upstairs to help us check it out:).

Those pictures are amazing! They make me want to go!

Taiwan Trekking said...

I love your pictures! They are really bringing this mission work to life for so many. I'll be praying for this work!