Rob had CP. He had it from birth. He had the type of CP which affects both legs and both arms. His speech was also affected. But, none of that stopped Rob. Or, I guess I should say none of that stopped Rob's parents. Rob had a very exciting childhood full of adventure. I love the stories of Rob going camping with his family. I love hearing about how creative Rob's dad was when it came to equipment for Rob. He made special forks and spoons for Rob to use (forks and spoons that are very expensive in the medical world) and a unique tray for Rob's wheelchair and numerous other things to make life accessible for Rob. Rob got a touch talker communication device when he was older and quickly learned how to "talk" using his touch talker. It was amazing. Rob was very smart and witty too.
2 weeks after Chris and I got married, Greg and Kim got married in Macon, GA. Chris and I were driving there from our new home in AL so we were the ones responsible for stopping and picking up Rob to take him to the wedding. That was one of the best road trips ever. Rob was a champion traveler. He especially loved us when we stopped to get him a milkshake from McDonald's for "lunch." I loved all the squeals of delight at every little thing. It was exactly 7 years from that weekend that we were in AL again to celebrate Rob's life.
When Jack was born I could not wait for him to meet Uncle Rob. I wanted Uncle Rob to just be a part of Jack's "normal." And, he was. Jack was never fearful of Rob and would always hug him and love on him and talk about his cool wheelchair. Chris and I are both fearful that Jack will not remember Rob, but we will do everything possible to keep Rob's memory alive for him. Jackson Robert is actually named for Rob. Well.....technically my grandfather was a Robert and Chris's grandfather was a Robert therefore Rob was a Robert........but when we decided that would be Jack's middle name it was mostly because of Uncle Rob. He brought so much joy to everyone he ever came in contact with and that is a constant prayer that I have for Jack - that he will bring joy to everyone he meets.
Ever since I met Rob he has lived at Rainbow Omega in Anniston, AL. This is such a unique place primarily sponsored by the Churches of Christ. It's a place for adults with all kinds of disabilities to live when their parents can no longer take care of them. It's a place where they can be for the remainder of their lives and receive amazing care and love. Rob worked in a workshop and earned a pay check. He lived in a house with 7 other residents whom he shared meals with, went to church with, went to Wal-Mart with, went to movies with, went bowling with, and went out to eat with. They were his family outside of our family. Grandma Dottie (Rob's mom) lives in Anniston too and was constantly very involved in Rob's life through Rainbow Omega. If you don't know about this ministry....now you do. It's definitely worth visiting sometime if you are ever that way (1 hour west of Atlanta). And, if anyone who happens to know Rob or Grandma wants to make a donation to Rainbow Omega in Rob's honor......that would be amazing.
We love Rob. We miss Rob. I don't think it will fully sink in that he isn't there until our next family get together when I don't get that big welcome hug and I love you. But, I could not be more joy-filled for Rob knowing that he is in Heaven with his dad who went to Heaven in 1988 and most of all with his God. Rob is no longer confined to a wheelchair. He is no longer bound by his body. He is FREE! He is dancing in God's presence and praising the Lord with the angels. I miss Rob, but I'm so incredibly happy for him!!!!



1 comment:
Thanks for sharing that Jill! Your testimony is just one more way that Rob's life will continue to impact people in a positive way. Very inspiring!
Post a Comment