Monday, February 07, 2011

Things to Remember...

On Monday Jack turned FOUR! It's so crazy to me that 4 years ago we had just become parents and were wondering what in the world we were supposed to do with that little guy and now I could never imagine my life without him! He is such a joy! I cannot say enough about Jack. He is the best big brother - he is always trying to make Tatum smile and never gets upset with her. Tonight she was crying in the car and he just very calmly said, "Mom, Tatum is crying. What is wrong? Do you think I can fix it?" His calmness is very evident in this picture taken right before we took Tatum to church for the first time on Sunday:
He is so curious about everything and lately his favorite thing to do is to read the Bible. We are reading through The Story this year (mentioned in a previous post) and there is a kid's version. Jack is already 3 weeks ahead because each time we read - he begs to read more. Tonight his Bible class teachers told me that they have to make Jack give other kids a chance to answer questions. One of his teachers even described him as a leader for the class. He is getting pretty good at math problems and is starting to read simple words. Tonight we were working on his Valentines for his school party tomorrow and he was able to sound out the word "Cosmic." Seriously? He has also gotten really into playing the Wii. I keep waiting for the newness of his Mario Kart game to wear off but that hasn't happened yet :-) We do limit how much he can play though.

There are a few things I want to remember about Jack's special day on Monday:

#1) Breakfast of Champions: Biscuits with Chocolate Gravy
This is something Aunt Kymmie makes and Jack has had at her house before. So, that was his request for his birthday breakfast (I did not complain because I love it too). But, it's definitely a rare and special treat!

#2) School Cupcakes
We sent treats to school for Jack's birthday. The only problem was......so did 2 other parents! Since school was out most of last week for ice, there were 3 birthdays to celebrate on Monday. We found out that the kids had 1 round of cupcakes in the morning, 1 round at lunch, and 1 round in the afternoon. Um......I would not have wanted to be Jack's teachers on Monday. So far.......the sugar count for the day was enough for a whole week!!!

#3) Phone Conversations
Both of Jack's boy cousins called him on his birthday and I think it's hilarious to listen to Jack and Sawyer talk on the phone and then Jack and Luke. While Jack was talking to Luke.......Luke told Jack about his new video games and said that he played everyday. That's when Jack told Luke this in these exact words......"Luke, you really need to play with your other toys too and not just video games or you might become preoccupied!" YEAH........we ARE getting through to our kid!

#4) Oh the Places You'll Go
This was Jack's choice for his bedtime story tonight. I almost cried when I was reading it to him thinking about Jack's future and all the places he will go in his life. Here is the part I think I like the best:
So be sure when you step. Step with care and great tact and remember that Life's a Great Balancing Act. Just never forget to be dexterous and deft. And never mix up your right foot with your left. And will you succeed? Yes! You will, indeed! (98 and 3/4 percent guaranteed). KID, YOU'LL MOVE MOUNTAINS! So...be your name Buxbaum or Bixby or Bray or Mordecai Ali Van Allen O'Shea, you're off to Great Places! Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting. So...get on your way!

I pray for Jack constantly that his life will bring glory to God. I pray that he will see God move mountains and not think he can ever do it on his own without the Lord. It's just mind boggling to think about all that his future could hold. I am so thankful that I get a front row seat to watch God work in this young life.

Lord, thank you for giving us this gift of Jack. May I never forget that he belongs to you. Thank you for trusting me with him. I love you forever, Jackson Robert Kirby!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

This is such a precious post, Jill. I can't believe Jack is READING!!! I woke up today remembering how you had practiced and practiced with him to say "Happy Birthday" to me and when the moment of truth came, he proclaimed, "Happy Hannukah!" :D Love that boy!